Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Week 10 (Google Chat)

Kolbe:  Hiiiii

Mom:  Hey!  I was just thinking about you!  You must have known it 😉.  How was your week?

Kolbe:  It was super rough not gonna lie

Mom:  Bummer!  How come?

Kolbe:  Investigators not progressing, problems with the comp, struggles with self confidence etc.

Mom:  I take it no baptisms Saturday?

Kolbe:  No.  They fell through.

Mom:  Darn!  Were they just not ready?

Kolbe:  I don't know why honestly.  They are ready in my eyes.  

Mom:  It's hard when you can see how ready they are but I think it helps to remember that everything happens on the Lords time.  Maybe there is something more they need to realize or learn.  Who knows.  But when it's meant to happen it will happen!  

How's is going with Rudy?

Kolbe:  Yes that is super true.  We are hoping for this month!!!  Andrea and Sharlit really want to be baptized. 

Rudy is a little bit of a struggle right now.  We went to his house for lunch and he was smoking and his friends didn't wanna hear what we had to say so it was a little rough.  He still wants to meet with us though.

Dad:  Just baptize the friends and then he will be easy.  Jajaja

Mom:  Smoking is a hard habit to break.  So many people struggle with that one.  I'm always so thankful I never got into stuff like that.  My personality wouldn't do good trying to quit.

So not to dwell on the negative but why is your companion so mean at times?  Is he struggling with something?  Not 100% committed?  What?  And do you really have him for another transfer?

Kolbe:  That is true!  And yes it is is so sad honestly.  But he is a good guy!  I have faith in him.

As for my comp...he is 25 and thinks he is above everyone.  He is rude to everyone around here.  He is having a serious power trip for some reason.  But he is only 2 transfers ahead of me.  And yes sadly.  I am really so depressed half the time because of him.

Dad:  Bummer.  Are you doing any splits to help break up the week?

Kolbe:  I am going this Wednesday with Elder Grossen but it is the last for this cambia.

Dad:  Shoot.  How about ward missionaries?

Kolbe:  They don't help us at all

Mom:  Dang I wish I had some advice for you on your companion but honestly I don't.  I do know that God puts us in situations for a reason and there must be something to learn from it.  Patience is something you are learning for sure but maybe he wants you to look deep within and find the positive things in the situation and learn that even in negative situations there is always positive things to be learned.  I don't know.  But even if you have to stay with him for one more transfer, it will all be a short time in the long scheme of things.  Don't let the negativity consume you and ruin the work that you could be accomplishing.  Remember it's Satan who wants you to be depressed and discouraged so he will encourage you to stay in that state but it's your choice to not be!

Dad:  Hey just thinking about this antagonistic companion.  I can honestly say I hated my comp Elder Crook.  But from that there wasn't another companion who could even come close.  It was for the best that I got the bad one out of the way early so I could love the ones that only sorta bugged me.  I'm assuming part of it is the language and part of it is your transition.  But it does get lots better.  And I mean lots better.  If you have on more transfer with him just get through it.  This has nothing to do with your self worth or anything like that.  It's just that sometimes two people aren't compatible.  

Kolbe:  Yes I am learning a ton of patience.  And honestly the time is flying.  I am struggling so bad I am not gonna lie.  Satan is working so hard on me.  I am trying to stay positive and busy and I am good.  The new guitar is the best thing of my night!  Also I am reading Jesus the Christ and it makes stuff so much better.  

I just hope my mom (3rd transfer) is a lot better.  I am praying it will be Elder Clark from Lehi.  

Dad:  Ha!  It's funny you say that.  My favorite comp of all time was Elder Clark from Lehi.  

Kolbe:  Really???

Dad:  Yes really!  Sometimes it's almost eerie how close our mission experiences have been.

Kolbe:  Yeah it really is!  Clark is the secretary and is coming out of the offices the cambia I get a new comp!

Dad:  Sdenka and Briss?  Are they interested in being baptized?  Or are they more interested in Gramatico?

Also what days are the combos?  Like the first week of the month or something?

Kolbe:  Briss is interested in being baptized but Sdenka isn't.  She just wants to argue with us how much better the Catholic church is.  And cambios are every 6 weeks on a Sunday.

Dad:  So the 10th of Feb and the 24th of March?  And you are with Gramatico until the March one?

Kolbe:  Yes I'm pretty sure.

Dad:  Ehhh that's not so long.  Sucky but not so bad.  At least you know when it will end.  In my mission you never knew.  It could be 1 or 5!

Mom:  Did you go to the temple this week?  Also how was your p-day?

Kolbe:  Yeah we went to the temple.  It was sooooo pretty!  

P-day was super fun!  It was our zone activity and we went to the capilla (church) and played sports and watched Kung Fu Panda 2 and Zootopia and ate Pique.  

Mom:  What's on the agenda for tonight and this upcoming week?

Kolbe:  Tonight we have a Noche de Hogar (Family Home Evening) with a member family.  The rest of the week nothing much!

Dad:  I remember my blue planner being completely empty some weeks.  There were some long hours between 9 am and 5 pm.

Mom:  What ever happened with the boy on the hill?

Kolbe:  We never followed up on that...I say we need to every day but my companion blows me off

Mom:  Can you not take some initiative or would that be bad?  And again your DL knows how bad this Elder is right?  Bad meaning lazy and not wanting to do anything.

Kolbe:  I try to and he gets mad at me and tells me what we are doing.  And yes everyone knows.

Mom:  Darn.  Well I'm sure the mission president was inspired that of all the incoming missionaries, you were one of the only ones who could handle this guy.  You will be able to be a better trainer in the end because you will know what NOT to do!

Have you had to go back to the mission home for Visa stuff yet or is that all good?

Kolbe:  Yeah I have gone to the city center twice to do stuff to get my citizenship here.  

Mom:  So how many times will you still have to go?  

Kolbe:  I have to go a few times.

Mom:  At least you are close and not traveling by bus 16 hours...

I just read your group email.  I loved the letter.  It is so true.  I learn so much from your letters.  I even had a dream last week about your letter and acting more often on inspiration

Kolbe:  If nothing more.  I'm coming super close to my Savior here.

The other night I had the freaking trunkiest dream...I was coming down the stairs of the airport and saw you all and man I was so trunky when I woke up.  

Mom:  Better not get too trunky or that will be a long 2 years!

Kolbe:  Hahaha I am the worlds trunkiest missionary right now

Mom:  That not a good thing...

Kolbe:  I know it's not

Mom:  I gave you to the Lord for 2 years...be HIS!  I will get you back soon enough.  

Kolbe:  I'm not really trunkey but I really do just think of home when things get rough which is a lot!

Dad:  Do you remember my lesson with that dollar bill that I wrote on and it came back to me from SLC?

Kolbe:  Yeah...why?

Dad:  Apparently for Tyler Gilroy's farewell he told that story and it was the lesson that helped inspire him to serve a mission.  Grandma was telling me about it.  

Kolbe:  Really?  That is really cool!

Dad:  Yeah, I remember during that time I was the only one who could teach lessons since the Stake President said the priests should not be teaching.  Bishop was too busy and Wiki never came.  I worried that because it was always me the spirit wouldn't touch any of you guys.  It was nice to hear about that.

Mom:  I'm excited for Tyler!  He will be a good missionary!

Well I know your time is running out but I want you to know that I know how easy it is to get discouraged and think that things would be better at home, but I've learned that life is just a challenge no matter what.  There are trails and hardships no matter where you are in life or what you are doing. It's okay to think of home, but keep in perspective of where you are and what you are doing.  It was never meant to be easy.  There are days, and even weeks where it is going to suck, but like you said earlier, you have come to know the Lord so much through this.  That is an amazing blessing.  Right now you have a choice.  You can let this companion break you or make you!  I hope you will choose to let him MAKE you!  You can take control.  Who cares if he is the Senior Companion you are there to preach and teach the gospel and he needs to get on board with that as well.  Don't let his bad attitude take you down.  Not in your attitude or self esteem!  You are better then that!  Hang in there and know that I love you so much and we pray daily for you!  Lose yourself in the work and you will find yourself.  I know I tell you that all the time, but really there is no better way to find joy then through serving people.  Serve with all your heart!  Love the people with all your heart!  And you will be blessed!

Kolbe:  Thanks mom for saying that.  I know I need to focus and I am trying so hard but man is it hard.  I know what I need to do I am just trying to achieve it now.  I am here to give the Lord everything I have and that is what I am going to do!  The only times that I think about home really is in the house. When were are working I am focused.  I was actually thinking that I need to make this a positive experience and become a better missionary from it.  I am really trying.  Love you mom!

Mom:  I know you are.  I wasn't trying to lecture although I may have come off that way.  I'm sorry if I did.  I was just trying to give you some encouragement.  You are a great kid!  It's a hard situation, there is not doubt about it.  But if anyone can handle it, you can.  It's just like with basketball and your Senior year, it will make you a better person/missionary no doubt!  I'm jealous of the growth you are getting out there!

Kolbe:  No mom I needed to hear it.  I am sorry if my response seemed defensive.  I know that my heart isn't in the right place right now and that I need to buckle down.  I can't help it sometimes but I really do need to do better.  I owe it to the Lord.  Honestly the move to Springville was hard for everyone but it made me grow as a person and I am so grateful for it.  I wouldn't be here today if we hadn't moved.  I honestly love you so much!  Thanks for everything you do for me and the family.  We are lucky to have you!!!  I have the best mom in the world!

Well my time is up!  I miss you guys.  We will talk more next week!  Love you!!!

Dad:  Love you Kolbe! 




 Elder Clark






No comments:

Post a Comment